sábado, 14 de enero de 2012

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Title: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)
Author: Josephine Angelini
ISBN: 0062011995
Published May 31st 2011 by HarperTeen


Synopsis (from Goodreads):
How do you defy destiny? Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history. As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

My opinion:

My expectations were too high. I guess that’s why Starcrossed left me with mixed feelings.
I liked it, but not as much as I hoped. This book had potential. It could have been so awesome!

I really liked its beginning, I thought the idea of Helen and Lucas (the new boy at school) wanting to literally kill each other was kind of original. They really, really wanted to kill each other.
But then, suddenly it all got bizarre. That’s the word I had in mind as I read the first half of the book. The plot was very interesting but all the characters were childish. I think this story would have been told better if the characters were a little older.

I thought Helen was weak and I HATE this prototype of protagonist. She’s the ‘OMG-he’s-so-handsome-I-can’t-believe-he-even-hold-my-hand-I’m-so-repulsive’ kind of girl. And worst thing about those girls: they’re gorgeous. And everyone knows it.

My favorite character was Hector. I know, he’s barely in the book. But he’s my favorite. Lucas and the rest of his family were just ok. They weren’t as charming as the author wanted them to be. All their hospitality and amiability seemed forced and false.

And one thing I forgot to mention, this book is FULL OF CLICHÉS. I mean it. So, if you’re those kind of people who really, really hate clichés, maybe it would be better if you and this book never, ever meet.

Will I read book two? Call me masochistic, but I will. I have faith in this series, I just can’t stay away of things related to Greek mythology. I'll give it a chance.


Rating:
2/5
It's ok

2 comentarios:

  1. Yeah, I'm not really into cliches, that's why I never picked it up. But if I ever come across it on clearance or someone lends it to me, I think I will read it (:

    ResponderEliminar
  2. OMG so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't love this book lol! I thought it was a promising debut too but the characters were weak and the romance felt too forced to me. However like you I still plan to read the sequel! Great review :)

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    Let's get to 600 Followers Int. Giveaway!

    ResponderEliminar